Your block captain may contact you as well, but here is the City announcement for National Night Out.
Mark your Calendar: National Night Out on Oct. 1
Neighborhoods throughout Austin are invited to the 30th Annual National Night Out on Tuesday Oct. 1, 2013.
There are two parts to the annual event. From 5 to 7 p.m., there will be a Kick-Off Party at Barton Creek Square Mall, in the North Downtown Overlook Parking Lot, with food, games, crime prevention tips and drawings for school supplies. This is free and open to all.
From 7 to 9 p.m., events such as cookouts, block parties and neighborhood walks will occur simultaneously throughout the City of Austin and nationwide. Citizens are asked to turn on their porch lights, lock their doors and spend the evening outside with their neighbors, City Council Members, police officers, firefighters, EMS paramedics and Code Compliance.
National Night Out is designed to:
- Promote crime and drug prevention awareness.
- Generate support and participation in crime prevention efforts.
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police/community relations.
- Get involved in your neighborhood community.
- Let criminals know that neighborhoods are organized and residents are fighting back.