Beginning Monday, Aug. 24, the Austin Water Utility (AWU) will enact Stage 2 Mandatory Watering Restrictions because of the exceptional drought inCentral Texas and recommendations made by the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA).
Stage 2 Watering Restrictions are in line with the 2009 Drought Contingency Plan authorized by Council earlier this year. The plan states the City Manager may order additional water restrictions when the combined lake storage levels of Lakes Travis and Buchanan is less than 900,000 acre-feet. That level was reached on Aug. 12.
Austin residents and businesses may only water one day a week:
- Residential customers (4 or fewer units) with addresses ending in an odd number may water on Saturday.
- Residential customers (4 or fewer units) with addresses ending in an even number may water on Sunday.
- Commercial and multifamily customers (including common areas of condominiums or homeowners’
- associations) with street addresses ending in an odd number may water on Tuesday.
- Commercial and multifamily customers (including common areas of condominiums or homeowners’ associations) with street addresses ending in an even number may water on Friday.
- You may schedule your system no earlier than 12:01 a.m. on your designated water use day. All cycles must be complete by 10 a.m. that same day.
- You may water with a hose-end sprinkler, a soaker hose, or drip irrigation only from 12 a.m. to 10 a.m. and/or from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. on a designated outdoor water use day.
- You may water with a hand-held hose or bucket any time of day and any day of the week.
Stage 2 Mandatory Water Restrictions
- Requires residential and commercial water customers to follow a once-per-week watering schedule.
- Limits automatic irrigation systems to operation between the hours of midnight and 10 a.m. on designated days.
- Limits residential vehicle washing to designated days and times and prohibits charity car washes.
- Automatic fill valves for pools or ponds should be turned off.
- No outdoor fountains should be used except to provide aeration for aquatic life.
- No water to be served at restaurants unless requested by the customer.
- No washing of sidewalks, driveways, parking areas or other paved areas except to alleviate an immediate health or safety hazard.
To ensure that restrictions are followed, the AWU Water Conservation staff will begin stepped-up, around-the-clock enforcement and take a zero-tolerance approach to violations of the restrictions. Violating mandatory watering restrictions is a Class C misdemeanor with fines up to $500. To report water waste, residents should call 3-1-1. For more information on water conservation visit: www.WaterWiseAustin.com.