WHAT: League members and the general public are invited to hear a panel of judges discuss the importance and need for public awareness of an independent judiciary.
WHO: Our panel of experts:
– Former Texas Supreme Court Justice Craig Enoch
– Texas Third Court of Appeals Justice Diane Henson
– Travis County Court at Law #2 Judge Eric Shepperd
Moderator: Maxine Barkan, Program Chair for Judicial Selection for the League of Women Voters of Texas
WHEN: Thursday, October 9, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: The meeting will be held at LCRA Red Bud Center
3601 Lake Austin Blvd., Room 108S (ample parking adjacent to the building)
NOTES: The League of Women Voters (LWV) of Texas has a long
history examining the judicial system in Texas beginning in 1959 while
working on constitutional revision. Since that time additional studies
have been conducted, the most recent in 2001-2003.
Issues for discussion (panelists):
- Preserving impartiality in our current system of electing judges (negative political campaigns, campaign costs, etc.)
- Public financing of the judiciary, would it eliminate the perception of undue influence from campaign contributions?
- How can the public become more informed and interested about the importance of the role of judges. Who is responsible?
Judy Parken, 512.657.4474
JAParken [Email address: JAParken #AT# aol.com - replace #AT# with @ ]
Maxine Barkan, 512.231.8536
mbarkan [Email address: mbarkan #AT# austin.rr.com - replace #AT# with @ ]