submitted by Phyllis Brinkley [Email address: pbrinkley #AT# austin.rr.com - replace #AT# with @ ]
The Austin Public Libraries that are used the most by Allandale residents are the Yarborough Branch on Hancock, the North Village Branch, The Austin History Library, and the Faulk Central Library (main library downtown). You can get information about the mission, facts, history, and more on the City’s libraries at the Austin Public Library website. What follows are location and hours of operation of each along with general information about
The Austin History Center:
2200 Hancock Dr.,
78756; (512) 454-7208
Monday-Thursday 10 a.m.-9
Friday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
North Village Branch
The library has been open since January of 1971 (35 years, this month, and people still don’t know where we are).
Address: 2309 W. Anderson Lane, Austin, TX 78757
(we’re one of the last 2 storefront libraries in Austin. Our branch is located in the North Star Home Center, across the parking lot from Yoga Yoga).
Hours: Monday through Thursday 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m.to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Holiday Schedule for 2006:
- New Year’s: Sunday, January 1 and Monday, January 2
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday: Monday, January 16
- President’s Day: Monday, February 20
- Easter: Sunday, April 16
- Memorial Day: Saturday and Sunday, May 27 and 28; Monday, May 29
- Independence Day: Tuesday, July 4
- Labor Day: Saturday and Sunday, September 2 and 3; Monday, September 4
- Veterans Day: Friday, November 10
- Thanksgiving: Wednesday, November 22 (at 6:00 p.m.); Thursday and Friday, November 23 and 24
- Christmas: Sunday, December 24; Monday and Tuesday, December 25 and 26
- New Year’s: Monday, January 1, 2007.
Branch Manager: Kathleen Kanarski, since May of 2000.
Email: Kathleen.Kanarski [Email address: Kathleen.Kanarski #AT# ci.austin.tx.us - replace #AT# with @ ]
Problems with the Austin Public Library website, comments or questions for the whole library system: aplmail [Email address: aplmail #AT# ci.austin.tx.us - replace #AT# with @ ]
The Faulk Central library
800 Guadalupe, 78701; (512) 974-7400
Sunday 12 noon-6 p.m.
The Austin History Center
Austin Public Library
810 Guadalupe Street, Austin TX 78701
Monday – Wednesday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Closed Thursdays and Fridays
Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 12 noon to 6 p.m.
Visit the centrally located Austin History Center, and view a wealth of
research treasures at this nationally-renown local history collection.
Housed within the walls of the graceful Italian Renaissance Revival
building are many delights for the researcher including:
- official city records
- family and business archives
- manuscripts, photographs, and posters
- oral histories
- periodicals and newsletters
- audio and video recordings
- collection of books and clippings dating from the 1840s to the present.
Virginia E. Kniesner
Austin History Center
Austin Public Library
Austin TX 78701